Tuesday, September 3, 2013

on being sick, shocked and so excited (not necessarily in that order)


So I'm here! I got a super bad cold on the Thursday before I flew out of Utah, so the journey here reminded me of Connie's terrible east coast excursion. When the plane was landing in NC the pressure was so bad, I almost puked and passed out. The poor elder next to me wasn't allowed to touch me or help me, but he pointed the little cool air nozzle my way and gave me a comforting wince. (: So in this state, I first met my mission president and his wife. All I remember was trying not to look or sound sick, so I smiled a lot and used a lot of hand sanitizer.
It was so fun talking to mama before I flew out of the airport! I am glad that gramma and Care and grampa all got my message, and I 'm sorry I didn't let you know when I would call. I also wish I could have remembered Zac or Connie or Papa's numbers, but you know I love you (:
Upon our arival, we went to the Presidents home--there were 30 new missionaries in my group: the most newbies they've ever gotten at once!!! Max Coca, a trumpet player from Timpview, was one of the Elders that flew out with me, so that was funny, a couple people were confused how we knew each other. We sang hymns and ate some cheezy spaghetti casserole stuff and practiced teaching with our AP's. 
I then met with President Bernhisel. As soon as our introductory meeting was completed, another sick Sister and I went to bed early, so we could hopefully recover more quickly. I slept like a rock.
The next morning, we received our first assignments- I am stationed at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville. Fayetteville ain't a pretty place. There is a lot of crime - most everyone walks around with a stick or a baseball bat, which is somewhat shocking. Fort Bragg is the biggest military post in the nation! It's huge! Practically everyone is a military family whether they live on post or off. We are not authorized to proselyte on base, so we try to do mainly service. We cover a ward off base as well as the YSA branch that meets at our stake center.3 wards = 3 back to back Sacrament meetings. Oh baybay. Talk about being spiritually fed (or stuffed). I love Sundays!
My trainer is named Sister Hardy. She hails from Logandale, Nevada, a tiny little town that she misses a lot! She has been out for four months and guess what? She is also a music major!!! I could scarcely believe it! She plays the violin, and I am excited to hear her play hopefully soon. She is planning on attending SSU when she returns from her mission, but she hasn't attended any college yet. It is loads of fun singing with her.
The past week has been filled with new faces. We got to participate in a baptism on Saturday - absolutely a highlight, though I never got to teach the litle boy. Adrian Volavola's family was less active and Sister Hardy taught him and helped reactivate them so he was baptized by the Elders on Saturday. His family is from Tonga. The spirit was sweet.
Right now we have four investigators- all of whom I am utterly obsessed with. They are incredible! Sheri is from Hawaii. Her husband is deployed right now in Kuwait, and she skypes him and shares all the things she has learned after our lessons. She will be baptized this month! It is unbelievable how prepared she is to receive Christ's gospel. She just eats it up and keeps us laughing the entire lesson.
Gracie is from El Salvador. I wish I spoke Spanish!!!! One of our hispanic Sisters from the ward comes and helps translate. Gracie speaks English, but half of the time she is speaking Spanish and it's so beautiful. Gracie isn't quite certain how she feels about the Book of Mormon, but she is reading it, and we hope she will want to be baptized in the coming months. She has many many questions about the Urim and Thummim and she tells us about Catholic visionaries she feels could compare to Joseph Smith. As I study for her, I have come to firmly believe that Joseph Smith is God's chosen prophet for this dispensation.
Ashley is about 20 years old and is currently training to be a medic in the army. She likes to analyze and think about things thoroughly. It is so interesting some of the theories she has formed about Adam and Eve and about God. I can see how she is prepared to hear the whole truth. It can be super frustrating sometimes that people are not progressing in the ways you feel they need to on the timeframe you visualize for them, but I have been blessed lately to feel the Lord directing them through His spirit, and I am grateful that this is His work and not mine. I will tell you more about Justine, and the other less active families we get to visit, next week! 
Stay true to the faith! I have never known with more conviction that this is the church of Christ on the Earth. He loves us! We are not salesmen, but messengers of the truth, and I mean all of us. As members of His church, we need to spread the gospel! Don't be afraid to share Mormon Messages and personal experiences with strangers about how God has touhed your life. It is a blessing, not an oddity, and people need to hear it. 2 Timothy 1:7
Love,
Sister Boucher

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    Can I link your "gone to Carolina" blog to the "Langhans Pics" blog?
    It has Langhans family pictures.

    ReplyDelete