Monday, October 14, 2013

Another Note from Sister B


Dear folks back home,
 
How are you?
 
We are feeling very blessed. There is lots of wonderful rain, and it is sweater season in North Carolina (:
 
We are loving the people of North Carolina (: Yesterday, the faith of members in our meetings and classes helped me feel the Spirit so strongly. I cannot deny that God lives and this is His work.
 
Now that Sheri is baptized, we meet with her much less. Every time we get to see her, at church and for new member lessons, her light is powerful and glorious. Her smiles and closeness to the Spirit remind us of the blessings of living the gospel.
We have seen many miracles in the past two weeks. Gracie was blessed to run into some of our Spanish speaking Elders and is now meeting with them and understanding so much more! We see the light growing in her as we continue to see her at church.
Ashley is so stubborn and intellectual. It is fun teaching her, because she comes up with theories and asks lots of questions. I have to be careful not to philosophize with her and forget my purpose. The Spirit of Christ testifies in plainness and truth. It is simple and exquisite. Far beyond our mortal understanding are the works of our Father in Heaven. It is beautiful how gospel truth completes our human aspirations; through the Spirit, our efforts are sanctified, and we become enlightened! It is humbling to realize I can teach nothing without the Spirit.
Two weeks ago, our investigator, Maryann, decided that God did not want her to go to our church. When she told us, my heart broke. She was so convinced that the Spirit was telling her that she did not belong at the Mormon church, I nearly believed it was true! She is a devout Catholic and grew up in the Bronx with the Catholic church as her source of light and feeling God's love. It is so hard for her to accept greater light and love and change. We are still meeting with her though. She still wants us with her, which is good (:
This Sunday, some of our members brought some friends to church- a family. The wife is from Germany!!! Her name is Julike. I was very excited, but didn't get a chance to meet her after class. I hope I get to speak with her, even if she doesn't want to learn about the Church.
 
The faith of our members strengthens me. Your faith strengthens me! There is magnificent strength in the faith of many.
 
Something that touched me this week in my study was how the Lord's plan for us is designed to bless and uplift all of His children. The experiences each of us have when we make mistakes and bad choices can be turned to our good as we use them to help and lift others.  I was reading about the sons of Mosiah who repented of the most vile sins, and then desired to bring all others the Savior's peace and forgiveness.  In Alma 26, Ammon asks, "why did he not consign us to an awful destruction, yea, why did he not let the sword of his justice fall upon us, and doom us to eternal despair?..." He then explains in verse 22 how anyone who repents and exercises faith and prays and does good things will be able to go forward in the Lord's work, "to bring thousands of souls" to Him. No matter what trials we face, the Lord can consecrate them for our gain. Especially the trials that the Lord sends us that don't make any sense in the eyes of the world. Think of Job! The Lords means them to enable us to bless and help others and increase our faith: "for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Ether 12:6) Yet knowing that miracles and blessings come after our faith doesn't exactly make trials painless.
 
We can do it with the Savior (: I have a greater testmimony, because of my experiences, that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. They love us, every one.
 
I love you.
Sister B
 
p.s. I am never sure what to tell you about, so shoot me some questions if you have any curiosities!

No comments:

Post a Comment