Monday, October 21, 2013

Joy


My dearest, darlingest Momsy and Popsickle and other loved ones,
 
Here amidst the towering pines, Sister Hardy and I continue our quest. We laugh, we cry, our joy is full. Our great joy comes from growth and light - in ourselves and those around us - as we live the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
Truly there is no way to feel this joy without the gospel of Christ. Not to say lots of people aren't happy. Lots are. They tell us: as we stand, smiling, on their porches, "Not Now," and "No," - and keep leading the lives they have chosen. Yet the great joy we feel comes only by living in His light.
 
We have dinner with members pretty much every night. How good that is for my health is yet to be seen. (Don't hesitate to feed your missionaries a mere salad. They'll thank you for it later.) The military aspect of my current area provides an eclectic assortment of cultures and foods. Mostly, we eat good ole American food-- lots of tacos, meat, pasta, the occasional hotdog albeit distressingly boiled :(. The southern food found in most other areas of our mission is legendary- the pork is quite vinegar-ie.
 
My favorite meal this week was with Sister Campos. She is from Chile, and serves currently as a ward missionary (with impressive vigor and vim I might add). The food, needless to say, was superb. She made us beans! and fajitas! and flan! Her son, Marcos is an inactive member and decided to sit in on our lesson. I was pleased to learn that he is a rapper. His rapper name is "knifestar". (first question I asked him (:) Though he isn't ready to come back to church, he committed to write Sister Hardy and I an edited rap per request. I'm pretty excited.
 
We love strengthening our members! Yesterday we were asked to share messages in primary in both wards we serve in. Definately the highlight of my week. The children were beautiful! Their spirits shine so purely. I can't help but think about how Juniper will be there soon! I am so glad she will know that her Heavenly Father loves her.
 
On another note, there have been several murders in Fayetteville this month. Eeeek. Not in our neighborhood, thankfully. Secret combinations and abominable sins are tearing lives apart. Satan is really working on people to destroy their potential and it's working. It is cause for great sadness in our hearts. The call in general conference for every person to stand for truth is needful, not only for our salvation, but for the salvation of our brothers and sisters. I want to testify that I now know that the commandments we have been given by the Lord are for our safety and joy. There is no other way to experience peace and joy in this life, other than living the commandments of Jesus Christ.
 
We battle each day to consecrate our thoughts, wills, appetites, and strength to the Lord. How I wish that all members were equally committed to serve Him! We live far below our potential for great happiness, miracles, revelation and joy.
 
I desire that all may receive this joy. It's so good. I am happy and humbled. Read the Book of Mormon daily, study the scriptures, listen to conference, pray unceasingly, go to church, honor your covenants, love your neighbors: in other words, I love you all. D&C 18:14, 17-21
 
Sister B

No comments:

Post a Comment