Monday, March 17, 2014

Wide Eyes

I feel like a different person today than I did last Monday.

Thursday, after interviews with President Bernhisel, we found out that our investigator, Sherrie, passed away in her sleep. She was about 44 years old. We don't know if she'll have a funeral, because her family is really poor. We are hoping to do her work a year from now in the temple. She was hoping to be baptized at the end of this month. Pray for her family and friends! They are heart broken.

Chelsea was able to be baptized with her husband on Saturday :)))) It was incredible.

I went on an exchange Robison County, NC. It was eye-opening. It is the poorest county in NC, and allegedly holds the record for the lowest education per capita in the entire country. We taught in a super, super old house that didn't have heating. The lady was all bundled up and sitting next to her space heater, but we were FREEZING. It was nuts. Lots of people struggle with bad drug histories there. Then we went and taught a couple ladies living in trailer homes and government housing. Mostly the people were humble, and the Spirit was strong. Poverty can harden hearts just like wealth can in some cases though.

I tried on one member's army gear! It was SO HEAVY. I can't believe they combat in them. I felt so light after I took it all off, I got light-headed. I'm a wuss. (note the teetery stance- about to tip over). I felt like a Warrior though!! (all you really need is the armor of God)
Yesterday, I asked some ladies in Relief Society, "The Savior's life was so difficult: he lived a life of suffering and persecution, and then he died shamefully- Why do we want to be like Him? How can we claim to want to be like Him, if our main focus is to make our lives easy and relaxing?" Now, I have been thinking about that all night and all day today. I know it is a silly question. I have found though, that it is worth it to think about it this way, because it may open your mind to the blessings in your life, and the areas where you NEED to re-center yourself on Jesus Christ.

We want to become like Christ, because He overcame temptation, physical death, spiritual separation from Heavenly Father. Not only that, He did it, and was able to do it, because He lived a life free from guilt or shame or sin. This was only possible, because of who He was, and that is why we need to become like Him, in order to escape terrible, eternal baggage. Our sins and mistakes will literally bog us down into the muck without a Savior to lift the burdens of consequence. Thus allowing us to learn and grow and become.

Without God, we can do nothing. John 15:5. I love the mormon message entitled "Lifting Burdens." Look it up for a quick minute-I really have faith in Him, and in what He did for us. I know I do, because my actions are changing, and my thoughts are changing, and I want to do good, and be good and help others. The enabling power of the atonement is real and tangible! I want to impress it upon every human mind and heart!

Lots more to tell, but I'm out of time! Thank you for your notes and for your packages and letters and love. I hope all is well with you all, that your lives aren't easy, but that you're becoming each day (: I know the gospel is the way to happiness and peace and forever families! Christ lives and loves us, Heavenly Father has a body, and watches over us and plans for us every step of the way. Prepare yourself to share this truth with everyone in all you do and say!
Love, Sister B 

No comments:

Post a Comment